Winter Pairings: Luyanda Mafanya
Winter Pairings Challenge with Nomu & Waterford
CyberCellar and Nomu recently challenged three of SA’s top female chefs to create a Winter dish and pair it with wine from a selected wine farm. Each recipe had to include three products from Nomu that would pair perfectly with wine from the farm, available on CyberCellar.
Cooking with Luyanda
Luyanda Mafanya is a home chef and content creator who stole the hearts of South Africans when she appeared on the second season of My Kitchen Rules SA.
She shares her passion for cooking on her highly popular social platforms and prides herself on creating everlasting memories through her exquisite food.
Follow her for more recipe inspiration:
About Luyanda's dish:
Luyanda’s dish of Prawns & Calamari has the perfect spicy additions from Nomu with their smoky chipotle and seafood rubs.
This dish is ideal for those sunny Winter afternoons where you can enjoy the sun peeking through, but the air still has a bite.
The spicy yet fresh flavours are a dream paired with Waterford’s Pecan Stream Sauvignon Blanc. So try this spicy seafood feast for yourself with the recipe below!
Tiger Prawns and Calamari
paired with Waterford Pecan Stream Sauvignon Blanc
- 10 – 15 prawns , deveined & butterflied
- 200g fresh squid, cleaned
- 2Tbsp Nomu Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp of crushed garlic
- 1 Tbsp of Nomu Chipotle Rub
- 1 Tbsp Nomu Seafood Rub
- 2 limes squeezed
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp of tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh coriander , roughly chopped for garnish
- Fresh parsley , roughly chopped for garnish
- Fresh chilli, chopped ( optional)
- Start by marinating your prawns:
In a mixing bowl, add the olive oil, garlic , Nomu chipotle rub, Nomu seafood rub, lime juice , lime zest , tomato paste and season with salt & pepper . Mix everything together and marinate for 30 min (more if you have time)
- Heat pan on a high heat , add 2 Tbsp of Nomu Olive oil to the pan and butter . Allow the butter to melt.
- Add your prawns and calamari, fry for about 3-5 minutes until the prawns turn pink.
- Garnish with parsley, coriander and fresh chilli.
- Serve with toasted crusty bread and a glass of chilled Waterford Pecan Stream Sauvignon Blanc.